Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Humble Hilo Backpack


Humble Hilo Backpack in Azul

I was drawn to this company because of the work that they do in Guatemala.  Every purchase goes towards child nutrition, literacy and education, or micro-finance loans for women.  This company makes beautiful huipil bags, but recently they came out with these back packs and I had to try one because they look so cute and functional.
  

The back pack straps are pretty comfortable and the padding in them is nice, but after using the Ju Ju Be BRB that has ergonomically correct straps and a mesh, breathable back, this was nothing special.  Not to say it isn't perfectly comfortable and it didn't feel too heavy when fully packed.


The side pockets are made out of 100% leather and I think they look really nice.  The only downside is that leather isn't really meant to get wet, so if there is any condensation on your bottles these pockets might discolor, or crack.

As you can see there are D-rings on the sides of the bag which are excellent for attaching to your cart, or stroller with the stroller straps that come with this bag- bonus!


The bottom is made of leather and seems pretty easy to clean and protects the bag when it's placed on the ground.


There are two zippered pockets on the front.  The lower one is a little hidden and I like to use this pocket for my wallet.  It is great for easy access to my wallet without having to open the main compartment.


Above that there is another zippered pocket that fits all of my "mommy" things.  It's pretty much my purse of the bag.  I have a compact, lip products, pens, tide to go, receipts, etc.  


Beautifully detailed logo made out of leather:)


The main compartment of the bag opens with a magnetic flap.   Then also has a U shaped zipper closure which I love so you can really get the bag open wide enough to see everything easily.  After trying this bag and a few others in the past, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really love large flaps on bags.  They just tend to get in the way of me getting what I need out of my bag quickly and efficiently.  This bag doesn't have a huge flap, so it didn't bug me as much, plus the flap on the front with the patterned material is what makes this bag so cute.

I do like the zippers on this bag.  They are easy to zip and I haven't had a problem with them getting caught, or stuck.


There are two slip pockets on the bottom and one small zippered pocket near the top on the front side of the interior.  The slip pockets are wide enough to hold diapers and wipes easily.  The zippered pocket at the top would be great for first aid, medicine and small essentials like a pacifier.

The back side of the interior has an awesome padded pocket with a velcro closure.  This is a great space for your computer, tablet, or even things like coloring books, or magazines:)  I thought this was a really cool idea because most people have tablets they bring along to help keep their child  entertained while running errands.


Here is a view of the interior when it's empty.  It is a deep bag, so if you like to vertical pack then this would be a great option for you.  I don't love that the interior is black because it does make things more difficult to see, but I do like the leather trim on the slip pockets so that you can find them more easily.


These are the stroller straps that the bag comes with and I actually really like them!  The clasps are easy to open and the gold hardware on everything looks very classy.



I stuck a Gatorade bottle in the pocket to show you that the pockets actually fit a large bottle easily:)

Overall I think this bag is really fun and different.  I don't think it will be the easiest to clean, but this dark blue print should hide dirt pretty well.  The function and space of this bag is excellent and the best part is that this company is giving back to people in Guatemala who are in need.

Pros and Cons 

Pros
  • humanitarian project
  • plenty of storage and organizational pockets
  • stroller straps included
  • made of nice materials including leather accents
  • nice quality zippers
  • bottom is somewhat protected with leather
  • not heavy to wear and pretty comfortable
Cons
  • not easily cleaned
  • black lined interior
  • bottle pockets made of leather which might get wet
  • the flap opening (personal preference)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Banner COde