Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack


Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack Glazed

The famous boxy backpack is a well known favorite of Petunia fans.  It is a great size with great features to help mamma stay organized and stylish at the same time! I think that's why I was originally drawn to this bag because it is a non-traditional looking backpack and it can also be carried cross-body.  It comes in a gazillion different patterns and fabrics, plus they have made a few upgrades on this bag that I love. Petunia is known for their excellent quality.  The hardware is sturdy, the materials are beautiful and the detailing they put into their bags makes them one of the diaper bag brand favorites.


The back of the bag has one long slip pocket that lets you tuck the backpack straps away.  I also like using this pocket for thin books, papers, receipts, grocery lists, etc.


I love the snap they used on this back pocket because you can easily get a good grip on both sides to close it quickly.


As you can see the top of the backpack straps are sewn to the bag and the bottom clasps can be undone to tuck away in the back pocket.  The original version of the bag did not have the back pocket, so they had the straps removable on both ends so you could just take them off, but I really love the functionality of the back pocket. It holds extra items, you always have your straps easily accessible, but you still have the option to hide them if you're carrying it with the long messenger strap.

Speaking of straps, these are just seat-belt straps so they are not padded, but they are a good width to make them comfortable and I have no complaints about them:)


The bottom of the bag is just the glazed material and there are no feet, so I would say this bag would be prone to get dirty if it was set on the ground.


The original version of this bag had a Velcro flap closure and I am so glad they gave it an upgrade because Velcro is loud and lint tends to get caught in it.  The newer version of this bag has hidden magnets and if you really want to be safe, it has the snaps on both sides.


I love this feature of the bag because it is just so convenient when changing a baby.  There are two zippers on the sides that zip down to unfold a whole little changing station.  I keep diapers, wipes, scented baggies, and a pacifier in the small pocket.  I also threw my wallet in there because when I'm out and about it's the easiest place to reach for it since it's in the front. 
   

Here is a better view of how the front pocket folds out so that you can easily set your bag down on the changing table, unzip the two sides and you have everything you need without digging inside the main compartment of the bag.


The changing pad is removable so that you can throw it in the wash.  I like having bags that are easy to clean, so I enjoy this feature, but I wish that the rest of the bag was a little more easy to keep clean.  Petunia bags cannot be machine washed.  The glazed fabric is nice because you can wipe it down, but it is also prone to color transfer from darker clothing such as jeans. 


Underneath the flap there is also the main compartment that closes with a zipper.  I tend to just leave this zippered compartment open because the flap keeps everything in the bag pretty well and when you are needing something it's annoying to have to go through a flap and a zipper.  I love that they have it though for extra security when you want it.


If you have the changing station all packed up I have noticed that the space in this main section becomes pretty slim. 


There is a back zippered pocket, a key clip, two slip pockets on the front and smaller elastic pockets on the sides.  These pockets really help to make the bag feel more organized.  For some reason though,  I feel like the bag is a larger size from the outside, but this interior feels a little squished to me.  


I tend to use this back zippered pocket for all of my mommy things:)


Here is a picture of the interior when the bag is empty.  This particular bag has a nice light colored lining, but some of these bags have a black interior.  Just beware of black lining because it can cause a black hole in your bag:)



The exterior bottle pockets don't have much stretch, but hey can easily fit a regular sized bottle or sippy cup.

Overall this bag would be a great option for someone who wants to stand out with an elegant pattern and a non traditional backpack.  The changing station is so convenient and all the other little details make this bag a great choice.

Here are some reasons why this bag doesn't really work for me.  I personally wouldn't use this as anything other than a diaper bag and I tend to gravitate towards bags that I will have other uses for.  I also found that I am not a fan of a big flap opening. I would rather just have the zippered top closure because for some reason the big flap just kinda gets in the way and bugs me.  There is no mommy pocket, or designated place to put all my things so that they can be grabbed quickly.  I also wish there was some type of grab handle to hold onto when getting in and out of the car.  For those reasons this isn't my favorite bag, but some people absolutely love it and can't live without it, so don't let me stop you if you think this bag would work for you and your needs:)

Pros and Cons 
Pros:
  • Excellent quality materials
  • changing station
  • ability to hide backpack straps
  • comfortable to wear
  • two carry options
  • plenty of organizational pockets
  • non-traditional backpack
  • magnetic closure
  • comes in many prints and fabrics
Cons:
  • not really easy to clean
  • no protection on the bottom
  • larger bag but feels a little cramped in the main compartment
  • no grab handle
  • a little bulky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Banner COde